1. My dad kept his pistol in its holster, hanging on a hook in the bedroom closet. When I was in high school, it accidentally discharged while I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. The bullet went through the common closet/bathroom wall and between my legs, missing my cojones by less than an inch.
2. I love science fiction…
3. …chicken fried steak…
4. …”Behind Blue Eyes” by The Who…
5. …and the color orange.
6. If I had to choose between the Bugatti Veyron or the Aston Martin V12 Vantage I think my brain would seize. It would be like trying to decide which of your two perfect children is your favorite without being able to pick them both.
7. I once dyed my hair black because I was bored with the natural brown color. (I was told bleaching it white like I wanted would turn it a yellowish straw color instead.) I looked kinda weird with all black hair, but when the brown had grown out more so it was half brown and half black, it looked awesome.
UPDATE: I have now bleached it snow white and yes, it looks awesome.
8. My favorite number is 8. It’s like infinity, sideways.
9. Three favorite authors: Isaac Asimov demonstrated how truly epic science fiction could be. Douglas Adams taught me that it could also be humorous, but Peter F. Hamilton makes it feel real.
10. I like to snow ski slowly, as if taking a stroll, and I like to ski alone. Speaking of snow…
11. I love the way the ground is brighter than the sky on cloudy days after a snowfall.
12. Once on a car trip around Crete, a friend and I drove north over the Diktean Mountains to reach the Lasithi Plateau. In doing so we drove up into the clouds to cross over, then down out of them to the plateau. It felt like an episode of The Twilight Zone.
13. I enjoy the beauty of Arabic script. It can be simple, as in a newspaper, or woven into a complex pattern like a tapestry. The most beautifully executed script I have ever seen was by a photographer named Hussain who made his name into a sailboat, waves and a sand dune with birds flying in front of a sun.
14. I must chew gum when I fly. If I don’t I won’t be able to hear out of my left ear for at least a week. (The Valsalva Maneuver doesn’t work for me. Never has.)
15. My earliest memory is of playing next to my younger sister beside a lake. I was three.
16. I once walked streets paved 4000 years ago while visiting Akrotiri, Santorini (Thera), Greece.
17. With a slight alteration to a statement made by Christopher Hutchens, I believe that which is asserted without proof should be dismissed without proof.
18. I think “reality television” is one of the biggest misnomers in history. Inserting disparate groups of people into contrived situations isn’t reality. It’s surreality. (Okay, this wasn’t really about me, but I don’t like “reality television” so now it is.)
19. I prefer driving a vehicle with a manual transmission.
UPDATE: Now I’m older and prefer automatic transmissions.
20. I like surprising people who underestimate or misjudge me. I love it if they also happen to be hypocrites.
21. I don’t know if this is uncommon or not, but in this era of the mouse, keyboard, and touch-screen, I have a permanent indentation on the left side of my right middle finger where my pencil rests when I write.
UPDATE: Yep, still there!
22. I can touch type, but when I enter numbers longer than four digits I use the number pad. (Although, I also used it when I numbered these random facts so, hmmm…)
23. If I could travel anywhere in the world and stay for a couple of months, I would visit Paris. Why Paris? I would literally be following my dreams. (Technically, it was one dream, but it was a very good dream.)
24. Key Lime Pie and Pecan Pie are my favorite two desserts.
25. Mac or PC? Mac!